Thursday 12 January 2017

I Have No PC And I Must Scream

Well, not quite. Two days ago, after six years of leal service, my trusty and faithful desktop PC decided to say farewell to this mortal coil by suffering a Catastrophic Liquid Cooling Failure, which rapidly turned into an Overheating Processor Core Event and then a Total System Kaboom.


Fortunately, I long ago learned (from Steven Erikson's infamous "losing half of first of draft of Memories of Ice" incident, among others) to have an external hard drive hooked up and to back up everything I'm working on, so I didn't lose any vital documents or files. But it is certainly an inconvenience.

Thanks to the generosity of my friends, I have a borrowed laptop so normal blogging service will not be interrupted, but anything approaching modern gaming is out the window for a few months until I can get a new desktop. Hopefully this will also result in more time for reading.

3 comments:

MAuro said...

Start an online money collection for the new pc, we readers my want to pitch in :)

Adam Whitehead said...

Cheers. I'll be launching a Patreon in the not-to-distant future. Otherwise, people can hit up the "DONATE" button in the top-right corner of the front page.

Anonymous said...

You can always hook up your old harddisk to any other functional and bootable PC in most cases of total system failure. I had to do this a couple of times (and currently also have a secondary hdd from a broken laptop in a PC).